Program Instructor – After School and Farm Workshops – Brooklyn
About the Position:
This position will work within two programs: City Growers’ rooftop farm educational workshops, and our COMPASS after school program. Reporting to the Program Manager & COMPASS Program Directors, the Program Instructor will co-facilitate educational, 90-minute workshops at our Brooklyn Navy Yard farm from 10:00a-12:30p, and teach at our COMPASS after school program from 1:30p-6:00p at PS 20 in Clinton Hill. This is a garden-based afterschool program, which will take place outside in the school garden. This part-time, seasonal position offers meaningful leadership experience in environmental education. We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic educators with a strong interest in sustainable agriculture and the food movement to join our team. All programming is conducted outdoors, following COVID-19 protocols and additional site-specific guidelines.
- Facilitate hands-on lessons on a variety of sustainable concepts, including urban agriculture, compost, environmental issues, plant science, and insects
- Study & Learn City Growers Agriculture-Based Curriculum
- Coordinate with teachers on day of farm visit in cases of rain and tardiness
- Maintain records and collect data from visiting farm groups
- Maintain and cultivate City Growers learning bed, as well as the garden at PS 20
- Sustain vermicomposting worm bins through weekly feeding and monitoring
- Teaching experience or experience working with children/teens
- Ability to guide youth while allowing them to make decisions of their own accord
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility and leadership qualities
- Gardening / farming experience
- Knowledge of sustainable practices and basic biological processes
- Positive attitude around children and young adults of all ages
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Self starter with excellent time management skills
Farm Workshops occur from 10a to 12:30p on Wednesdays and Fridays, and the program runs from April 6th– June 11th, dependent on workshop demand.
COMPASS After School occurs from 1:30p to 6:00p, four days a week, plus a 1-hour weekly team meeting (time TBD), and runs from April 13-June 24, 2021, with one day for staff to debrief on June 25, 2021. When both programs are running simultaneously, 12:30p-1:30p will be paid lunch and travel time. Educators will be required to commit to the duration of this time, along with mandatory training days the week before programs begin, April 5th-9th.
|10:00-12:30||Farm Workshop at Brooklyn Navy Yard Farm||Farm Workshop at Brooklyn Navy Yard Farm|
|1:30-6:00||COMPASS at PS 20||COMPASS at PS 20||COMPASS at PS 20||COMPASS at PS 20|
$18 per hour
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 references (1 professional, 1 character) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.