Virtual Summer in the Soil Camp: Activity Specialist – Eco Arts
About City Growers
City Growers is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization based in New York City. City Growers connects communities in urban environments with agriculture, food, and nature through farm education and advocacy, in order to foster a culture of health and sustainability. By providing hands-on, experiential, farm-based education programs to young people using Brooklyn Grange rooftop farms as learning laboratories, City Growers aims to increase environmental and food literacy among NYC youth. City Growers programs cultivate meaningful relationships with the natural world, celebrate good food grown with care, and empower young people to envision a greener, cleaner, healthier New York City.
About the Position
City Growers seeks a Virtual Summer Camp Activity Specialist to plan and facilitate hands-on remote activities for groups of 6-12 elementary-aged campers entering grades K – 5 in our virtual summer camp program. The Activity Specialist will be responsible, in partnership with other staff, for cultivating and maintaining a supportive and stimulating summer camp culture. Responsibilities include facilitation of activities, lesson planning, materials maintenance and upkeep, and maintaining positive relationships with and among campers, families and colleagues. Activity Specialists will facilitate eco arts activities twice per day, for 4 days/week, and join all campers and staff on a virtual trip 1 day/week.
We are seeking an Activity Specialist who is passionate, interested in youth development, high energy, creative, easy going, intentional and inclusive when working to build positive relationships with the young people we serve.
- Work with and build upon existing curriculum for Eco Arts activities
- Plan Eco Arts lesson plans for each morning and afternoon session of summer camp
- Lead youth in interactive online activities in a variety of food and environmental-related concepts including making upcycled art projects
- Maintaining positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues
- Creating and maintaining a safe online space for children
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with youth in a school or after school setting OR 2-3 years experience working in a summer camp
- Minimum 1 year experience facilitating art activities with elementary age youth
- Background in food, agriculture, STEM, and/or environmental science strongly preferred
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Consistent access to internet and virtual platforms
- Fluency with Zoom, Google Suite
- Must undergo background check
- Bilingual or Fluent in Mandarin, Spanish, Arabic, Bangladesi, French, or Haitian Creole preferred
- Interest and experience promoting positive youth development and social and emotional growth
About the Program:
All program staff will function from the same belief that City Growers embodies in all of our programming: the belief that each student is capable of achieving success and growing as an individual. The program’s overarching goals are to stimulate curiosity about the natural world, and to empower participants to become stewards of their bodies and their environment, and cultivate community engagement.
The program’s Activity Specialist will work full time at our 2-week virtual summer camp program, plus training before the program start date:
- Curriculum review and training days are August 6-7, 2020.
- Program runs August 10-21st, 2020 (Monday-Friday, 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM).
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com.
Application with no cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers values a racially, ethnically and culturally diverse work community and we strongly encourage application from people of all backgrounds.