Summer Camp Group Leader
About the Position
City Growers seeks a Summer Camp Group Leader to supervise groups of campers entering grades K – 5 in our summer camp program at P.S. 516 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
Group Leaders will be responsible for 1 group of 15-17 elementary-aged campers and, in partnership with other staff, for cultivating and maintaining a supportive and stimulating summer camp culture. Responsibilities include facilitation of activities (including morning meetings and closing circles), social-emotional support, overseeing 2-4 assistant counselors, and maintaining positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues.
- Directly supervising a group of 15-17 campers alongside 2-4 assistant counselors
- Facilitating morning meetings and closing circles daily
- Facilitating daily activities in the classroom (including arts and crafts and community building games) and during outside park and free time
- Maintaining positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues
- Facilitating social and emotional growth amongst participants
- Creating and maintaining a safe space for children
- Safely moving children from school to off-site camp locations on Urban Expeditions, and to additional sites of greening and growing in the neighborhood
- Activity Specialists will lead garden, cooking, art, and movement activities throughout the summer, but Group Leaders will play an important role in supporting all facilitation
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with youth in a school or after school setting OR 2-3 years experience working in a summer camp
- Previous experience in afterschool, summer, or enrichment youth program strongly preferred
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Experience facilitating morning meetings and closing circles a plus
- Background in food, agriculture, STEM, and/or environmental science is a plus
- Familiarity with geography of NYC and public transit system
- Must be fingerprinted and undergo background check
- Bilingual Spanish or Chinese strongly preferred
- Interest/experience in exploring nature and/or food with youth a plus
- Interest and experience promoting positive youth development and social and emotional growth
About the Program:
The Summer day camp will run from 9am-3pm (with after care options for campers as well). Students will be visiting various sites in the neighborhood several times a week for greening and growing (gardening), visiting local parks twice a week, and taking trips via subway around NYC once a week.
All program staff will function from the same belief that City Growers embodies in all of our programming: that each student is capable of achieving success and growing as an individual. The program’s overarching goals are to stimulate curiosity about the natural world, and to empower participants to become stewards of their bodies and their environment, and cultivate community engagement.
Program runs July 8-August 16, Monday-Friday 8am-4pm, with training and orientation on June 28th, and July 2nd and 3rd.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.