Summer Camp Activity Specialist: Eco Arts and Movement
About the Position
City Growers seeks an Activity Specialist in Eco Arts + Movement to facilitate hands-on activities for groups of 15-17 elementary-aged campers entering grades K – 5 in our summer camp program at P.S. 516 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. The Activity Specialist will be responsible, in partnership with other staff, for cultivating and maintaining a supportive and stimulating summer camp culture. Responsibilities include facilitation of activities, materials maintenance and upkeep, and maintaining positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues. Activity Specialists will facilitate eco arts and movement activities 4 days/week, and join all camp on trips 1 day/week.
We are seeking an Activity Specialist who is passionate, interested in youth development, high energy, creative, easy going and is intentional and inclusive when working to build positive relationships with the young people we serve.
- Facilitating daily eco-arts and movement clubs for campers
- Maintaining positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues
- Creating and maintaining a safe space for children
- Safely moving children from school to off-site camp locations once a week on Urban Expeditions
- Working with and building upon existing curriculum for eco-arts and movement activities
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with youth in a school or after school setting OR 2-3 years experience working in a summer camp
- Previous experience in afterschool, summer, or enrichment youth program strongly preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience facilitating eco-arts and movement activities with elementary age youth
- Background in food, agriculture, STEM, and/or environmental science
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Familiarity with geography of NYC and public transit system
- Must be fingerprinted and undergo background check
- Bilingual Spanish or Chinese strongly preferred
- Interest and experience promoting positive youth development and social and emotional growth
About the Program:
The Summer day camp will run from 9am-3pm (with after care options for campers as well). Students will be visiting various sites in the neighborhood several times a week for greening and growing (gardening), visiting local parks twice a week, and taking trips via subway around NYC once a week.
All program staff will function from the same belief that City Growers embodies in all of our programming: that each student is capable of achieving success and growing as an individual. The program’s overarching goals are to stimulate curiosity about the natural world, and to empower participants to become stewards of their bodies and their environment.
Program runs July 8-August 16, Monday-Friday 8am-4pm, with training and orientation on June 28th, and July 2nd and 3rd.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.