PS 516 Sunset Park Summer in the Soil Camp: Gardening/Cooking Activity Specialist
About the Position
City Growers seeks a Summer Camp Activity Specialist in Gardening & Cooking to facilitate hands-on activities for groups of 15-17 elementary-aged campers entering grades K – 5 in our summer camp program at P.S. 516 in Sunset Park, Brooklyn. Activity Specialists will be responsible, in partnership with other staff, for cultivating and maintaining a supportive and stimulating summer camp culture. Responsibilities include facilitation of activities, materials maintenance and upkeep, and maintaining positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues. Activity Specialists will facilitate garden and cooking activities 4 days/week, and join all camp on trips 1 day/week.
We are seeking an Activity Specialist who is passionate, interested in youth development, high energy, creative, easy going and is intentional and inclusive when working to build positive relationships with the young people we serve.
- Create Gardening and Cooking lesson plans for each week of summer camp
- Lead youth in interactive activities on a variety of food and environmental-related concepts including urban farming/gardening, carpentry, cooking, composting, canning and preserving, etc.
- Facilitating daily garden activities at the Brooklyn Grange Farm, PS516 school garden, and in the classroom
- Facilitating cooking classes with fresh foods grown in the garden or indoors when possible
- Maintaining positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues
- Creating and maintaining a safe space for children
- Safely moving children from school to off-site camp locations once a week on Urban Expeditions
- Working with and building upon existing curriculum for gardening & cooking activities
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with youth in a school or after school setting OR 2-3 years experience working in a summer camp
- Previous experience in afterschool, summer, or enrichment youth program strongly preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience facilitating gardening and cooking activities with elementary age youth
- Background in food, agriculture, STEM, and/or environmental science
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Familiarity with geography of NYC and public transit system
- Must be fingerprinted and undergo background check
- Bilingual Spanish or Mandarin strongly preferred
- Interest and experience promoting positive youth development and social and emotional growth
About the Program:
The program’s overarching goals are to stimulate curiosity about the natural world, empower participants to become stewards of their bodies and their environment, and cultivate community engagement while providing much-needed childcare to the surrounding area. All program staff will function from the same understanding that City Growers embodies in all of our programming: the belief that each student is capable of achieving success and growth as an individual.
The PS 516 program’s Activity Specialist will work full time at our 6-week summer camp program, plus training before the program start date:
- Curriculum review and development training days are June 25 – 26, 2020.
- All-staff training and orientation are June 29 – July 2, 2020.
- Program runs July 6-August 7, 2020 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM, including daily staff meetings).
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application with no cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.