PS 20 – Clinton Hill Summer in the Soil Camp: Gardening/Cooking Activity Specialist
About the Position
City Growers seeks a Summer Camp Activity Specialist in Gardening & Cooking to plan and facilitate hands-on activities for groups of 15-17 elementary-aged campers entering grades 2 – 5 in our summer camp program at P.S. 20 in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. The Activity Specialist will be responsible, in partnership with other staff, for cultivating and maintaining a supportive and stimulating summer camp culture. Responsibilities include facilitation of activities, lesson planning, materials maintenance and upkeep, and maintaining positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues. Activity Specialists will facilitate garden and cooking activities 4 days/week, and join all camp on trips 1 day/week.
We are seeking an Activity Specialist who is passionate, interested in youth development, high energy, creative, easy going and is intentional and inclusive when working to build positive relationships with the young people we serve.
- Create Gardening and Cooking lesson plans for each week of summer camp
- Lead youth in interactive activities on a variety of food and environmental-related concepts including urban farming/gardening, carpentry, cooking, composting, canning and preserving
- Complete 15-hour Food Handlers License course and certification exam
- Facilitate garden activities at the Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm
- Facilitate cooking classes utilizing fresh foods grown in the garden or indoors
- Grocery shopping for cooking class ingredients once a week
- Maintain positive relationships with and among campers and colleagues
- Create and maintain a safe space for children
- Safely move children from school to off-site camp locations weekly on Urban Expeditions
- Work with and building upon existing curriculum for gardening & cooking activities
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with youth in a school or after school setting OR 2-3 years experience working in a summer camp
- Previous experience in afterschool, summer, or enrichment youth program strongly preferred
- Minimum 1 year experience facilitating gardening and cooking activities with elementary age youth
- Background in food, agriculture, STEM, and/or environmental science
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Familiarity with geography of NYC and public transit system
- Must be fingerprinted and undergo background check
- Bilingual or Fluent in Arabic, Bengali, French, Haitian Creole, or Spanish preferred
- Interest and experience promoting positive youth development and social and emotional growth
About the Program:
All program staff will function from the same belief that City Growers embodies in all of our programming: the belief that each student is capable of achieving success and growing as an individual. The program’s overarching goals are to stimulate curiosity about the natural world, and to empower participants to become stewards of their bodies and their environment, and cultivate community engagement.
The PS 20 program’s Activity Specialist will work full time at our 6-week summer camp program, plus training before the program start date:
- Curriculum review and development training days are June 25 – 26, 2020.
- All-staff training and orientation are June 29 – July 2, 2020.
- Program is July 6 – August 14, 2020(Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM).
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and 3 references to email@example.com.
Application with no cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.