Program Instructor – Queens
About the Position:
This position will work within the following programs in a team of two: City Growers’ rooftop farm educational workshops, and our Green Ambassadors after school program. Reporting to the Program Manager, the Program Instructor will co-facilitate educational, 90-minute workshops at our Long Island City Farm from 10:00a-12:30p, and teach at our Green Ambassadors after school program from 3:30p-6:00p at IS 141 in Astoria. This is a garden-based after school program, which will take place outside in the school garden. This part-time, seasonal position offers meaningful leadership experience in environmental education. We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic educators with a strong interest in sustainable agriculture and the food movement to join our team. All programming is conducted outdoors, following COVID-19 protocols and site-specific guidelines.
- Co-facilitate hands-on lessons on a variety of sustainable concepts, including urban agriculture, compost, environmental issues, plant science, and insects
- Study & Learn City Growers Agriculture-Based Curriculum
- Coordinate with teachers on day of farm visit in cases of rain and tardiness
- Maintain records and collect data from visiting farm groups
- Maintain and cultivate City Growers learning bed, as well as the garden at IS 141
- Sustain vermicomposting worm bins through weekly feeding and monitoring
- Teaching experience or experience working with children/teens
- Ability to guide youth while allowing them to make decisions of their own accord
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility and leadership qualities
- Gardening / farming experience
- Knowledge of sustainable practices and basic biological processes
- Positive attitude around children and young adults of all ages
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Self starter with excellent time management skills
Programs run Tuesdays and Thursdays, 10a-6:00p. The Farm Workshops occur from 10a to 1p and the program runs from April 6th– June 11th, dependent on workshop demand. Green Ambassadors occurs from 3p to 6p and runs from April 13th-June 17th. When both programs are running simultaneously, 1p-3p will be paid lunch, planning, and travel time. Educators will be required to commit to the duration of this time, along with mandatory training days April 5th-8th.
Please note: Opportunities for occasional extra hours available in Brooklyn, depending on Farm Workshop demand in the Sunset Park Farm location and Brooklyn Navy Yard location.
|10:00-12:30||Farm Workshop at Sunset Park Farm (Tentative Opportunity)||Farm Workshop at Long Island City Farm||Farm Workshop at Long Island City Farm|
|12:30-3:30||BREAK and TRAVEL||BREAK and TRAVEL|
|3:30-6:00||Green Ambassadors at IS 141||Green Ambassadors at IS 141|
$18 per hour
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 references (1 professional, 1 character) to email@example.com. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.