Job Description: Project Lead/Lead Educator – Brooklyn Bee Corps
About City Growers:
City Growers is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization based in New York City. Our mission is to use urban agriculture to engage young people in experiential learning, nurturing a lifelong relationship to food, their health, and the natural world. Rooted in experiential and inquiry-based learning theory, our programs aim to close fundamental gaps in the experiences of city kids through exploration of the natural world and an understanding of where our food comes from.
City Growers’ programs engage thousands of kids in farm-based learning each year through our hands-on farm workshops at Brooklyn Grange rooftop farms, school garden and beekeeping residencies, after school programs, summer apprenticeships, and urban ecology workshops off the farm. City Growers is committed to providing and expanding access to experiential environmental and food education to youth in New York City and beyond.
About the Position:
Brooklyn Bee Corps is a paid beekeeping apprenticeship program for a group of six high school aged youth. The Project Leader/Lead Educator will facilitate the job skills development of the teen apprentices and supervise the maintenance of the City Growers hives in partnership with the Program Manager and the Assistant Beekeeper/Educator.
They will meet with the Assistant Beekeeper/Educator and Program Manager one day/week from 9:00a-5:00p to prepare curriculum and co-lead lessons on Wednesdays from 9:00a-5:00p and Thursdays from 9:00a-5:00p at the Naval Cemetery Landscape, Brooklyn Grange Farm at the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and/or a green job site in NYC.
This part-time, seasonal position offers unique and exciting leadership experience in beekeeping and environmental education. We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic educators with a strong interest in apiculture and urban ecology. All programming is conducted outdoors, see attached COVID-19 protocols.
- Co-facilitate beekeeping, urban ecology, and job skills training for six high school aged apprentices
- Support teen apprentices in cultivating professional and social-emotional skills
- Co-supervise field trips to visit various green jobs around New York City
- Sustain partner relationships with program sites, Naval Cemetery Landscape and Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farms
- Manage training and beekeeping materials, including protective equipment
- Maintain colonies of healthy bees for pollination and production of honey
- Offer role modeling of best practices for co-educators and BBC apprentices
- 2+ years of experience working with youth in school, after school, camp, or outdoor education setting
- Strong interpersonal skills and leadership qualities
- Experience with or a strong desire to learn about beekeeping
- Positive attitude around children and young adults of all ages
- Gardening and/or farming experience
- Knowledge of sustainable practices and basic biological processes
- Previous CPR & First aid training preferred
Starting at $22 per hour
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 references (1 professional, 1 character) to firstname.lastname@example.org. **Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.**
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
City Growers is an equal opportunity employer. We provide all individuals consideration for employment and advancement opportunities without regard to race, religion, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, partnership status, status as a domestic violence victim, disability, pregnancy, military status, status as a Vietnam Era or Special Disabled Veteran, genetic information as defined by the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act or state law, source of income, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including without limitation, hiring, promotions, compensation, benefits, disciplinary actions, training opportunities and all other terms and conditions of employment. Violations of this policy will not be tolerated, and any City Growers employee found to be engaging in any type of unlawful discrimination will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.