Job Description – School Garden Educator @ M347 The American Sign Language and English Lower School – Spring 2022
About the Position
The School Garden Educator will facilitate environmental and food education programming at PS 347 – The American Sign Language and English Lower School. This position provides the right candidate meaningful experience in outdoor, hands-on, environmental education. We are seeking 2 reliable, passionate and enthusiastic educators with a strong interest in sustainable agriculture and food systems to join our team. ASL Fluent applicants strongly preferred; all classes include Deaf, hearing, and KODA/CODA students. Deaf and hard of hearing candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Co-facilitate experiential, garden-based workshops in the PS 347 schoolyard for 6 bilingual ASL and English classes of ~10 students each
- Study and assist in adapting City Growers Garden Residency Curriculum for ASL learners
- Maintain records and collect data from each class
- Coordinate with the Program Manager and teachers regarding schedules and curriculum
- Support teachers in gaining confidence and skills teaching in an outdoor setting
- Support young people in developing comfort in inquiry, exploration, and being in community
- Teaching experience or experience working with children/teens in non-traditional teaching environments, including after school programs, camps, and outdoor spaces
- Familiarity with ASL; ASL fluent candidates strongly preferred; Deaf and hard of hearing candidates are encouraged to apply
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility and leadership qualities
- Gardening / farming experience
- Knowledge of sustainable practices and basic biological processes
- Positive attitude around children and young adults of all ages
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Self-motivated with excellent time management skills
Compensation is $20/hour, including paid orientation/training hours the week of March 21st. Additional shadowing hours will be included as part of training, dependent on bookings.
This is a part-time, seasonal position. The Garden Residency at M347 will run for five weeks, from the week of May 2nd – May 30th, 2022. Programming takes place on Tuesdays and Thursdays during the school day, with additional planning hours for Educators to check in with each other and their supervisor. M347 is in Manhattan, but City Growers’ main office is located in the Brooklyn Navy Yard – educators must be willing to travel to both locations.
Note: Additional hours prior to the start of the program available for the appropriate candidate to adapt curriculum for bilingual ASL & English classes.
Sample Schedule (subject to change based on applicant availability):
|Planning Hours & Check-in with Program Manager||Lesson 1, 2||Lesson 1, 2|
|Lunch Break||Lunch Break|
|Lesson 3, 4||Lesson 3|
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 references (1 professional, 1 character) to email@example.com. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
City Growers is an equal opportunity employer. We provide all individuals consideration for employment and advancement opportunities without regard to race, religion, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, partnership status, status as a domestic violence victim, disability, pregnancy, military status, status as a Vietnam Era or Special Disabled Veteran, genetic information as defined by the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act or state law, source of income, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including without limitation, hiring, promotions, compensation, benefits, disciplinary actions, training opportunities and all other terms and conditions of employment. Violations of this policy will not be tolerated, and any City Growers employee found to be engaging in any type of unlawful discrimination will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.
COVID-19 Policies and Protocol
The safety and health of our staff and participants remain our top priorities. To review City Growers’ full COVID Safety Policies and Procedures go to www.citygrowers.org/COVID-19 .