Farm Educator Internship
The Farm Educator Intern will learn about the interactive farm lessons on a variety of sustainable concepts for youth at Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farms in Brooklyn and Queens. This part-time, seasonal position offers the right candidate meaningful leadership experience in environmental education. We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic educators with a strong interest in sustainable agriculture and the food movement to join our team. The Farm Educator Intern will assist the Lead Farm Educator in facilitating workshops, and report to the Program Manager.
- Assist in facilitating hands-on lessons on a variety of sustainable concepts, including urban agriculture, compost, environmental issues, plant science, insects and chickens for children and teens at Brooklyn Grange rooftop farms
- Photograph farm visits for use on City Growers social media outlets
- Maintain records and collect data from visiting youth groups
- Study & Learn City Growers Farm-Based Curriculum
- Maintain and cultivate City Growers learning bed
- Sustain City Growers’ vermicomposting worm bins
- Care for CG chickens (provide water and food daily, collect eggs; weekly coop clean)
- Setup and cleanup farm workshop materials
- Teaching experience or experience working with children/teens
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility and leadership qualities
- Knowledge of sustainable practices and basic biological processes
- Positive attitude around children and young adults of all ages
- Strong desire to learn more about urban agriculture, rooftop farming, environmental education, and food justice
Eligible candidates must be available at least two or three days per week. Preference will go to candidates who are able to commit to 3 days. Programs run five days per week (Monday-Friday) from 9am-2pm, with occasional extra hours available. Farm Educator Interns will be required to commit from April 1st-June 26th, along with mandatory training days on March 30th and 31st.
This internship is unpaid, though we are happy to support participants receiving course credit as well as provide letters of recommendation when appropriate.
How to apply: Please send cover letter and resume to Emma at email@example.com with the subject “Farm Educator Intern.” Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Please note: Interns will be expected to travel to BOTH farm locations in the Brooklyn Navy Yard and Long Island City.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.