Job Description – Spring Farm Educator Fellow
About the Position
The Farm Education Fellow will co-facilitate interactive farm lessons on a variety of sustainable concepts for youth at Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farms in Brooklyn and Queens. This part-time, seasonal position offers the right candidate meaningful leadership experience in environmental education. We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic educators with a strong interest in sustainable agriculture and the food movement to join our team. The Farm Education Fellow will manage and co-teach with the Lead Farm Educator, farm education interns, and will report to the Program Coordinator.
- Co-facilitate hands-on lessons on a variety of sustainable concepts, including urban agriculture, compost, environmental issues, plant science, insects and chickens for children and teens at Brooklyn Grange rooftop farms
- Maintain records and collect data from visiting youth groups
- Ability to occasionally lead farm lessons after regularly-scheduled hours or weekends
- Study & Learn City Growers Farm-Based Curriculum
- Maintain and cultivate City Growers learning bed
- Assist students with planting various seeds in the learning bed
- Sustain City Growers’ vermicomposting worm bins
- Care for CG chickens (provide water and food daily, collect eggs; weekly coop clean)
- Set up and clean up farm workshop materials
- Teaching experience or experience working with children/teens
- Gardening / farming experience
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility and leadership qualities
- Knowledge of sustainable practices and basic biological processes
- Positive attitude around children and young adults of all ages
- Strong desire to learn more about urban agriculture, rooftop farming, environmental education, and food justice
Eligible candidates must be available at least two days per week and up to five days. Programs run five days per week (Monday-Friday) from 9am-2pm, with occasional extra hours available. Farm Educator Fellows will be required to commit to April 1st-June 26th, with mandatory training days on March 30th and 31st. Please be aware that students’ spring break runs from April 9th-17th, and we will not hold workshops during this time. Additional employment opportunities in the summer.
This is a stipended position. Fellows will be paid a lump sum at the end of the season commensurate with days spent in fellowship.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.