Job Description: Family Farm Day/Tabling & Workshop Substitute – Summer & Fall 2022
About City Growers:
City Growers is a 501(c)(3) charitable nonprofit organization based in New York City. Our mission is to use urban agriculture to engage young people in experiential learning, nurturing a lifelong relationship to food, their health, and the natural world. Rooted in experiential and inquiry-based learning theory, our programs aim to close fundamental gaps in the experiences of city kids through exploration of the natural world and an understanding of where our food comes from.
City Growers’ programs engage thousands of kids in farm-based learning each year through our hands-on farm workshops at Brooklyn Grange rooftop farms, school garden and beekeeping residencies, after school programs, summer apprenticeships, and urban ecology workshops off the farm. City Growers is committed to providing and expanding access to experiential environmental and food education to youth in New York City and beyond.
About the Position:
This position is ideal for someone who is able to work weekends and is interested in picking up additional hours during the week when available. Reporting to the Program Manager, the Educator will work within multiple programs at two different sites to facilitate City Growers educational activities with a variety of ages. Please note, if a candidate can only work at one of the following, it will not prevent them from being considered for the position.
Tabling and Workshop Activities at River Street Farm Collective – Every Saturday from July 17th through October 29th, City Growers will offer drop-in programming from 12pm-4pm at the River Street Farm Collective on the Williamsburg waterfront in partnership with Oko Farms, Compost Power, and Island Bee Project. The Educator will co-facilitate drop-in activities (such as coloring, scavenger hunts, etc.) with youth of all ages, share resources with families and visitors about our upcoming programs, and set up and break down tabling materials. We are looking for two Educators to co-facilitate together.
Family Farm Days at Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm in Sunset Park – Every Sunday from July 18th through October 30th, City Growers will offer Family Farm Days from 10am-2pm during Open Market Days, which are free and open to the public. The Educator will co-facilitate drop-in activities (such as coloring, scavenger hunts, etc.) with youth of all ages, share resources with families and visitors about our upcoming programs, and set up and break down tabling materials. We are looking for two Educators to co-facilitate together.
Substitute Workshop Educator – When needed, the Educator will be offered the opportunity to assist with facilitation of up to 1-2 educational, 90-minute Farm Workshops at Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farm in Sunset Park on a weekday, Monday thru Thursday. See below for more information about Farm Workshops:
For Farm Workshops: We offer up to two 90-minute time slots per workday, Monday thru Thursday: one morning and/or one afternoon session, between the hours of 10:00am to 2:00pm. The workday will also include time for a weekly check in with the Program Manager, as well as setup, breakdown, and supply inventory – totaling up to 3-8 hours per workday, again depending on bookings.
On occasion, the educator may also be offered the opportunity to assist with City Growers’ Farm to Youth workshops at summer rising sites throughout NYC, for 1-3x 60 minute educational workshops. See below for more information about Farm to Youth Workshops:
For Farm to You(th) Workshops: Schools may book between two and five 60-minute workshops per day. Time slots are very flexible depending on availability, and educators will always be given a break when more than 3 workshops are booked. The workday will also include time for a weekly check in with the Program Manager, as well as setup, breakdown, supply inventory, and travel – totaling up to 3-8 hours, again depending on bookings.
Both Farm Workshops and Farm to Youth Workshops follow specific curriculum that require the educator to review in advance. Each workshop day is 3-8 hours, depending on the number of bookings.
This part-time, seasonal position offers meaningful experience in environmental education. We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic educators with a strong interest in sustainable agriculture and the food movement to join our team. All programming is conducted outdoors, see attached COVID-19 protocols.
- Facilitate hands-on activities on a variety of sustainable concepts, including urban agriculture, compost, environmental issues, pollinator health, urban ecology, plant science, and insects
- Study & Learn City Growers Agriculture-Based Curriculum
- Communicate with Program Manager about tardiness or scheduling issues, as well as any cancellations due to rain or inclement weather
- Maintain relationships with Brooklyn Grange Rooftop Farms AND River Street Farm Collective staff
- Maintain materials required for activities and tabing and coordinate inventory needs with co-Educators and Program Managers
- Maintain records and collect data from visiting groups
- Maintain and cultivate City Growers “learning bed;” our 100-200 square foot farm plot rented from Brooklyn Grange – used for exploration through planting, growing, harvesting, and tasting with young people.
- Assist with and help coordinate chicken care needs with City Growers “teaching hens,” as needed
- Communicate with Program Manager about any materials-related issues or needs
- Sustain vermicomposting worm bins through weekly feeding and monitoring
- Support young people in developing comfort in inquiry, exploration, and being in community
- Teaching experience or experience working with children/teens in non-traditional teaching environments, including after school programs, camps, and outdoor spaces
- Understanding of or interest in inquiry-based learning
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility and leadership qualities
- Gardening / farming experience
- Flexibility to work at different locations
- Knowledge of or interest in sustainable practices and basic biological processes
- Positive attitude around children and young adults of all ages
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated with excellent time management skills
Programming at Brooklyn Grange Sunset Park and River Street Farm Collective take place on Saturdays and Sundays, and occur from mid-July through October 2022. Educators are expected to attend a paid orientation/training during the week of July 5th. Additional shadowing and orientation hours will be included as training during the week of July 11th, dependent on bookings.
Starting at $20/hour
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 references (1 professional, 1 character) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
City Growers is an equal opportunity employer. We provide all individuals consideration for employment and advancement opportunities without regard to race, religion, color, creed, age, sex, national origin, alienage or citizenship status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, partnership status, status as a domestic violence victim, disability, pregnancy, military status, status as a Vietnam Era or Special Disabled Veteran, genetic information as defined by the Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act or state law, source of income, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including without limitation, hiring, promotions, compensation, benefits, disciplinary actions, training opportunities and all other terms and conditions of employment. Violations of this policy will not be tolerated, and any City Growers employee found to be engaging in any type of unlawful discrimination will be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination of employment.