About the Position
City Growers seeks an Activity Specialist to work directly with 30 students in grade 3-5 in a DYCD-funded COMPASS Explore afterschool program with P.S. 20 in Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. In this part time, seasonal position, the Activity Specialist will lead youth in activities focused on farm-based learning, green arts and crafts, nutrition and healthy living, ecological stewardship, and urban expeditions.
We are seeking an Activity Specialist who is passionate, interested in youth development, high energy, creative, easy going and is intentional and inclusive when working to build positive relationships with the young people we serve.
- Lead youth in interactive activities on a variety of food and environmental-related concepts including urban farming, cooking, and green arts
- Act as a resource to all farm related activities
- Accompany and supervise students on “Urban Expeditions” throughout the city during the week of spring break
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum 2 years of experience working with youth in a school or after school setting OR 2-3 years experience working in a summer camp
- Previous experience in afterschool, summer, or enrichment youth program strongly preferred
- Strong background in food, agriculture, STEM, and/or environmental science
- Strong communication and leadership skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Familiarity with geography of NYC and public transit system
- Must be fingerprinted and undergo background check
- Interest and experience promoting positive youth development and social and emotional growth
The Activity Specialist will work part time when the position commences. Hours will increase incrementally approaching July, when the Activity Specialist will transition into a full time position at our 6-week summer camp program in the same location. The Activity Specialist will report to the Program Director. Though we cannot guarantee employment beyond August 16, 2019, for the right candidate we will be seeking possibilities to extend employment.
The after school program runs on the following days and times:
4/22/19-4/26/19 (Spring Break) 9:00am-5:30pm
4/29/19-6/26/19 (Monday-Thursday) 2:30-6:00pm
NO Program or School: 5/27/19, 6/4/19, 6/6/19, 6/11/19
Weekly staff meetings take place on Wednesdays from 1:30-2:30 pm.
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.