Fall 2021 Farm to You(th) Educator
About the Position:
Reporting to the Farm to You(th) Program Manager, the Farm to You(th) Educator will co-facilitate workshops onsite at our various afterschool partner locations. Schedule will be dependent upon the number of bookings which are available between 2-6pm on weekdays for a duration of 3-4 hours including workshop time, setup, breakdown, and in some cases travel. Educators will work in pairs with at least one Lead and one Assistant Educator, or two co-Leads. Educators will co-facilitate lessons, manage educational materials, and prepare for upcoming workshops.
This part-time, seasonal position offers meaningful experience in environmental education. We are seeking passionate and enthusiastic educators with a strong interest in sustainable agriculture and the food movement to join our team. All programming is conducted outdoors, see our COVID-19 protocols.
- Facilitate hands-on lessons on a variety of sustainable concepts, including urban agriculture, compost, environmental issues, pollinator health, urban ecology, plant science, and insects
- Study & Learn City Growers Agriculture-Based Curriculum
- Travel to our after school program sites
- Transport any necessary materials (we make every effort to keep supplies to a minimum)
- Coordinate with Program Manager and teachers and/chaperones on day of workshops in cases of rain and tardiness
- Maintain relationships with after school partners
- Maintain records and collect data from after school groups
- Teaching experience or experience working with children/teens
- Ability to guide youth while allowing them to make decisions of their own accord
- Understanding of or interest in inquiry-based learning
- Strong interpersonal skills, flexibility and leadership qualities
- Gardening / farming experience
- Flexibility to work at different locations
- Knowledge of sustainable practices and basic biological processes
- Positive attitude around children and young adults of all ages
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Self starter with excellent time management skills
Programs occur on designated weekdays from September 17th through early November 2021, depending on demand for booking requests. Educators are expected to indicate their availability, and work with the Farm to You(th) Program Manager to develop a workable schedule. Farm to You(th) workshops are typically scheduled during after school program hours of 2pm and 6pm. Farm to You(th) workshops are 45-60 minutes in length. Additional time for set-up, breakdown, and in some cases travel is also included in the workday.
Educators will be required to attend City Growers All Staff Fall 2021 Training the week of September 27th. Booking availability begins mid-September and continues through early November 2021.
- Assistant Educator, starting at $18 per hour
- Lead Educator, starting at $20 per hour
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, resume, and 2 references (1 professional, 1 character) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
City Growers, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.